Saturday, November 20, 2010

Bite-Sized Red Velvet Cupcakes


I made these little red velvet cupcakes for the Going-Natural event.  I modified a few of the recipes I've seen to get the perfect red velvet for me.  I like to use a little more cocoa powder than most recipes.  This yields about 28 mini-cupcakes (they are really small).
          1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour 
           1/2 teaspoon salt
         1/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
          3/4 cups sugar (brown and organic cane sugar)
         1 egg
         3 tablespoons cocoa powder 
         1 tbsp heavy cream
          1/2 ounces red food coloring
          1/2 cup buttermilk (Saco buttermilk powder mixed with almond milk)
          1 teaspoon vanilla paste
          1/2 teaspoon white vinegar
         1/2 teaspoon baking soda

Cream butter and sugar about 2-3 minutes.  Blend in egg.  Make a paste from cocoa and red dye.

Add paste to butter sugar mixture

Mix in flour and salt.  Add milk and vanilla.
Combine the baking soda and vinegar in a separate bowl. Fold in with a rubber spatula.
Bake 11 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. ( I used very small cupcake liners.  Add more time for bigger liners.)
Perfect!
 I made a standard cream cheese buttercream (confectioner's sugar, butter, cream cheese, milk, and vanilla) then sprinkled red crystals on top.


3 comments:

  1. It was a pleasure to meet you at the Going Natural Event! Your cupcakes were delicious!!!
    Will be placing my order for the Holidays!

    Deitra
    www.bohemiansoul.com
    www.bosohair.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have personally had the Red Velvet cupcakes and they are GREAT!
    The whipped Buttercream frosting in very delicious. Look forward to having them again

    ReplyDelete