Friday, November 19, 2010

Gluten-Free Mini Coconut Cupcakes



I'm supplying cupcakes for my good friend Mireille's Going Natural product launch party this Sunday.  She is sensitive to wheat and loves coconut and vanilla.  She asked me if I could make something that she would be able to eat during the event.  I've never baked without wheat flour but was up to the challenge.  I made up my own recipe following some of the steps and ingredients for the Caramel Cupcakes as a base.  I generally use brown sugar to ensure moistness.

RECIPE 
2 egg yolks
1 egg
1 tsp coconut extract
1 tsp vanilla extract
½ cup plus 2 tbsp buttermilk
(I used Saco buttermilk powder with coconut milk)
1 ½ cup gluten-free all purpose flour
½ tsp xanthan gum
2/3  cup sugar
2 tbsp brown sugar
2 tbsp condensed milk
2 ¼ tsp baking powder
¼ salt
¼ cup butter (room temperature)
¼ coconut oil (room temperature)
½ cup shredded coconut 

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line muffin tins with paper liners.

In a large measuring cup, whisk together, the eggs, egg yolk, coconut extract, vanilla extract, condensed milk and buttermilk and set aside. 

In the bowl of an electric mixer, whisk together the flour, xanthan gum, sugar, baking powder and salt. Mix on low. With the mixer running, gradually drop in the coconut oil then the butter pieces and until blended, about 2 minutes. With the mixer still on low, begin slowly pouring in the wet ingredients. When all the wet ingredients have been added, increase speed to medium and mix until the batter is light and fluffy, about 1 1/2 more minutes. 
Mixing in wet ingredients.
Fold in unsweetened shredded coconut
Bake for 15-17 minutes
Nice and moist!

"They" always say that baking is very precise but a lot of times I throw few ingredients together and eyeball the measurements and still get good results.  That's exactly what happened with the frosting.  I whipped up these ingredients together.
About 2 cups sugar, 2 tbsp coconut milk, 3 tbsp organic heavy cream, 2 tbsp unsweetened shredded coconut and 1/4 tsp coconut extract)
Whipped with a whisk then beat with paddle attachment  about 3-4 minutes



No comments:

Post a Comment